Friday, September 2, 2011

Stand Aside

Not sure why, but all this talk of the recent earthquake got me to thinking about the big shakers I experienced during the 43 years I lived in Los Angeles. These quakes were different than the recent one we had here in DC...these were the kind where the ground actually shook violently and stuff fell down…including some actual buildings (to be honest, I wasn’t even here during the recent DC tremor, but I thought a little California quake-snobbishness might be a good engaging hook at the outset of this story). The last really big one I remember was the Northridge quake in 1994, and ironically, I was running a big new electrical construction project on the campus of Cal-State Northridge. 

The events of that day the quake hit and the devastation that occurred are another story for a different time, but what is interesting to me is that as dramatic as that episode was; navigating on that morning around crumbled overpasses, sunken streets, downed power lines, demolished buildings, and finally arriving at the collapsed parking structure where I’d parked every day for over a year, all that was not the most memorable part of working on that campus.  While the images of that destruction are vivid, the thing I think most about that project is the influence is had on my own professional career.  

Back when I was a young crackerjack electrical foreman, I was the gold-standard for micro managers. I would lay-out all the associated tasks with color-coated instructions (literally) that were almost idiot proof. I was the test, and the rule was if I could figure out my instructions, anyone should be able to do it. Boxes were color coated for conduit systems (power was blue, fire-life safety red, lighting was orange etc…) and the so were the diagrams carefully spray-painted on the floor for the journeymen to follow. I was real proud of the system, until one day when someone actually had the the nerve to challenge the perfect model.


He really wasn’t that much older than me, but he’d been around the trade for awhile and he was a seasoned journeyman electrician named Tom. One day while I was instructing him on his next project, I noticed he was smiling. When I sternly asked him why, he hesitatingly pointed out to me that I might want to try standing back and letting the talented folks around me do what they were trained to do. To me, that sounded like idiocy… and I remember asking him if he really thought he could read the blueprints and actually put in the installation without my guidance. He asked me to let him try, and even implied I might like the outcome if I gave it a shot. It was laughable really, and I remember looking forward to the “I told you so” moment when I returned to see he’d screwed it up royally without my guidance.
I watched him from a distance for a while, and wallowed with satisfaction as he studied the prints and removed his hardhat to scratch his head. I figured I’d give it a couple of hours, and when I returned at the end of the day, my instincts were immediately validated. Predictably, Tom had installed the conduit runs completely different than my well-thought-out layout. Then, as Tom feebly tried to explain his rationale for his bonehead approach, I started to realize that his ideas and ultimately his entire installation, was superior to what I initially wanted done.  


It wasn’t easy letting out the reins at first, but once the talented well-trained crew on that IBEW job was really unbridled, even better things started to happen. It wasn’t long before that became the model on every job, and soon I was benefiting from the skills and expertise of those around me. Eventually, I learned my best strategy was often to just get out of the way (too often the crew would reminded me of that), and over time, I benefitted more and more for the good work done by others.
Though I still stick my nose into things way too much, the hands-off approach has for the most part been a good model. To put it simply, I have had a blessed life…often getting credit, or at least far too much recognition for the work done by people theoretically working for me (at least on the org chart). Usually, they are accomplishing it by their own initiative with little or no direction. Then, by virtue of their efforts, I often end up with a preponderance of the credit they deserve. To the degree I’ve amounted to anyting, being pushed up by others, and ton of luck (and having a great boss) has been the quintessential blueprint. At no time in my life has that been as true as it is right now.


I miss the days I worked in the field and the lessons I learned while doing so, but I can’t complain  too much.  Now days I have a pretty cool office and to be completely candid, sometimes I look out the window at the stunning view and wonder how it all happened (people that know me well are even more perplexed…actually perplexed doesn’t cover it). In the corner of my office is a hard hat from my home local union. It’s the one I wore when Tom told me to stand aside and let the talented folks around me do what they knew how to do. I won’t lie and try to tell you I think about it every day, but when I do, it reminds me of one ultimate truth. Every good thing I’ve ever enjoyed professionally (and much of the happiness I’m blessed with personally), is due to the work of others.
Have a terrific Labor Day weekend and try to spend a minute or two thinking about the good work people do and how it has affected your life.

When I think about the look on Tom's face when he gave me that sage advice...I wouldn't be too surprised if he was thinking about this song.

Happy Labor Day

No comments:

Post a Comment