Friday, September 30, 2011

...and I'm really getting old.

Unless you’re walking around a pre-school or elementary school campus, there’s something about being the oldest person in the room that just doesn’t feel good. Sure, there are those that lie to themselves about some added levels of peace and perspective that come with the additional years, but as  I wandered aimlessly around last night during a reception of approximately 800 people almost all at least 10 years my junior, it was hard not to feel as though the game has passed me by. I was also reminded why I find myself slowing down to browse in the aisle at Safeway where they stock the adult diapers, and why I now take special notice of the Sunrise Assisted Living facility each time I drive by it on Connecticut Ave. I like the white rocker on the north side of the porch patio…someday…that one is mine. There is just something about realizing there is a lot less road ahead of you than there is in the rearview mirror. Often, if you add up the actually miles…it’s downright scary.
Despite these feelings of getting old, there was also something very cool about walking around during the party. As you listened to the chatter, saw the smiles, felt the enthusiasm, and took stock of all the young talent, you couldn’t help but think that things just might be OK. When you look at all the obstacles facing progressives, the one thing you have to feel good about is the deep bench of talent literally yearning to grab the reins. That sense seemed particularly apropos to me while attending this conference, as I handed some of my most cherished conference duties off to a far-younger team, and the work they’ve done clearly surpasses any of my earlier efforts.
So, I had mixed emotions when I hiked off to bed during the reception last night about the same time many of the young bucks were just beginning their evenings. Though I felt a little blue when I popped my Geritol, turned on Lawrence Welk and climbed into bed at 9:47, I also had this incredibly positive sense that there are some awfully good young leaders waiting in the wings.
I still felt a little melancholy when I rolled out of bed this morning and stumbled down to the hotel gym at 4:45 am. When I swiped my keycard and walked into the room, not one of those young twenty-something whippersnappers was up and working out. Suddenly, I felt a little better…and when I hopped on the treadmill…this song started to play. When it did…I smiled.
Have a wonderful weekend and if you get an opportunity, hand off some responsibility to a younger worker just dying to get a chance.
BTW...didn't get a chance to proof this...so sorry about all the errors.

1 comment: