Friday, December 30, 2011

48,012 miles…that’s what the account balance showed when I logged onto my U.S. Airways Dividend Miles account back in early December. This posed more than a minor problem, because with 2012 coming like a freight train, I was still roughly 2,000 miles short of the coveted Gold Preferred frequent flyer status I’ve managed to rack up on largely personal travel since moving from California to the East Coast back in 2005. With no planned business meetings in December, this meant a discretionary trip would need to be taken sometime before the New Year. Unfortunately, it also meant the excursion would need to take place during the busy holiday travel period…but if you’ve suffered the indignity of boarding in Zones 2 through 5, or if you’ve had to check your carry-on luggage due to the lack of remaining overhead space, you’re willing to go the extra mile. BTW…wasn’t that a better than average  use of the often overused “extra mile” cliché?
After a mediocre year of flying around the country (Gold status is pretty paltry compared to the more elite Platinum and Chairman classifications of big time travelers), I really didn’t have the need to visit any particular person or place. So, this meant that other than the typical restrictive bustling holiday schedule we all have to deal with and the minimum 2,000 mile criteria, there was really no limitation on the any number of possible exotic destinations from which to choose. I had colleagues and friends traveling to such places as Cambodia, Thailand, Paris, Mexico, New Orleans, and Colorado, so the bar was pretty high. I thought about Fort Lauderdale, the Bahamas, and even a quick trip to Southern California, but at the end-of-the-day I decided to really live it up, and I went ahead and booked tickets to Fargo, North Dakota (my fifth trip to the region this year).
Now, I know what you’re thinking…you’re thinking about the movie Fargo. But you’re also probably contemplating other things…like consulting me about your next vacation, wondering whether or not I’m married, or my undoubtedly impressive SAT score (930…and I got caught cheating). You also may be pondering what kind of pretentious jerk would be so concerned about something as pretentious (straight out of the Department of Redundancy Department) as frequent flyer status that they would take an unnecessary trip in the midst of a hellacious holiday travel season? Well, I wish I knew what to tell you, but I guess the best suggestion I have for you is to reference the SAT score (BTW…not sure they calculate them the same way now, but back in the day 1600 was really good…930…not so much).
There is however a more defendable reason…and it has to do with the exponential decline of service and civility of air travel in general.  The Southwesternization of the airline industry has resulted in a Walmart-like approach to the overall flying experience, and flying first class (I get upgraded about 65% of the time if I travel at off-peak times) makes the now mostly unpleasant exercise almost tolerable. Sure, I suspect it would be better not to be so wrapped up in such superficial things as one’s frequent flyer status, but it would also help to be four-foot two inches tall and have fantasies about living life in a sardine can.

I’ve had to humbly walk past all those smug faces with their pre-flight beverages in First Class looking at me like they’re better than me…and I’ve sat in First Class arrogantly sipping a glass of red wine while sneering at the pillow toting peasants meekly filing by to the lower decks. I’d like to tell you it doesn’t matter, but B is better. It’s not like it’s better by just a little bit either…scenario B is markedly superior.
So, I’m sitting in First Class right now on the trip from Charlotte to my next stop in Minneapolis (had to fly to NC first from DC to rack up enough miles. Again…check the college entrance scores). I finished my second bag of Kettle Chips and had a couple glasses of OJ while the scrunched peons back in steerage shelled out 7 bones for a freaking cheese and snack plate (presuming there was one even available). Hey…it’s almost 7am and here comes the flight attendant again. “Pardon me, but may I have a black coffee with a splash of Jack Daniels please?” Oh yeah…it matters.
Most of you are probably off work relaxing this holiday week, so chances are you might not even need (or want) a Friday morning song. However if you do, and if you yearn to cling to that holiday feeling just a little while longer, take a few minutes to listen to this soothing seasonal gem. It’s a version you don’t always hear, and if you like holiday music,  it might just be a nice way to wrap up the year.
Happy New Year…and if I know or work with you, thank you for enriching my year…and my life.
Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment