Friday, September 16, 2011

...and I should have stayed in bed

Normally I wake up a few minutes before the alarm so the fact that it went off this morning at 3:55 should have been my first clue it would be a good day to stay in bed. I stumbled down the stairs as always, let the cat out, and then when I looked into the mirror, I knew sleeping in would have been a much better option. After brushing my teeth I went into the basement to knock out a couple of sets of bench-press, but my back was sore from having to change a tire on my wife’s car last night. Actually, it was my car, which she’s using because her car is not running. That means I have to schlep to work by foot (I cheat and take the metro part of the way), but that’s probably another reason my back hurts.

I sat down at the computer between sets to hammer out the song of the day story, but there just wasn’t anything there (there’s stuff in the gym…there just wasn’t anything in my mind). I laid back down to do another set, but I didn’t push up the bar because that hurt too. I started thinking about my sore back and what a pain it was to be without wheels. That got me to thinking about some of my old cars.

For most of my life, especially all the years I wore a tool-belt in the trade, I drove a good, old-fashioned standard pickup truck.  I had a couple of them, but my favorite was a blue 1974 full-sized Ford with a standard transmission that I purchased from my cousin’s Ford store in Fergus Falls, Minnesota. When I think back about all the therapeutic drives I had in that rig on gravel roads around North Dakota, I can’t help but think about how nice it would be to do that now. Somehow, crammed into the Red Line with my face slammed against the glass next to some cat that is having the same problem with his indoor plumbling that I am with my cars,  just doesn’t provide the same level of therapy.

Anyway, this is starting to shape up as a great example of the contrast between having something to say and feeling the need to say something. As I noted earlier, there just isn’t much there today…must be my sore back.

Hope you have a terrific weekend. It’s shaping up to be a Fall beauty here in the east, so hopefully you’ve planned something fun. If you feel the tug to work too much…fight it. It may not feel like it now, but whatever you think is so important that it should keep you from what really matters in life, will seem much less significant when the final curtain falls.

If you start today with some music, you'll have a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment