Friday, October 10, 2014

...and I'd love to push the button to turn on the lights just one more time...

For a kid that grew up in a few miles from the Pacific Ocean about 10 miles directly west of the manic metropolitan Los Angeles Civic Center, traveling back each summer to the tranquility and stability of my mother’s hometown in Abercrombie, ND was a genuine treat. During a period from about 1985 until 1998, I would venture back at least once a year…sometimes twice…and the journey and the time spent there was without question among the most enjoyable times of the year. As a matter-of-fact, the weeks I would spend in North Dakota became so coveted that I would maximize my time and actually drive solo non-stop straight through and was able to make the roughly 1,900 mile road trip in about 31 or 32 hours (I’d usually nap for about an hour somewhere in eastern Wyoming).

There were a lot of things I loved about going to that small rural Midwestern hamlet of about 300 residents nestled by the Red River which bordered the Minnesota line…but one of the best and most comforting was the feel of my Grandpa’s old house. The two-story home with a dirt-floor cellar sat on the north side of the main drag Broadway…just about three blocks in from “old” highway 81, which served as the main north/south eastern North Dakota thoroughfare before the completion of Interstate 29 several miles west bypassed the town in the 1970s.

The house was classic…at least in my mind, and featured three bedrooms up stairs, an attic directly above the kitchen, one bedroom on the first level along with a living room, kitchen and parlor just of the living room. You rarely ventured into the parlor unless it was to play old hymns on the badly out-of-tune ancient upright piano. There was always a bunch of stuff stacked in there…and I remember it seeming kind of dusty and dark.

There was also a dirt floor cellar just below the kitchen with a single porcelain keyless light that you had to illuminate by pulling a chain once you descended the crewed wooden stairs. My grandma (who passed away in the late 1970s) used to keep fruit-and-such which she canned down there…but as a kid I was always afraid to even open the cellar door fearing that Boo Radley would be lurking in the dark…just at the base of the stairs.  

The most amazing thing about this big house was that it really had only one real bathroom…and small upstairs room contained only a commode, a tub and a sink. If you wanted to take a “shower” you had to kneel down in the porcelain tub and use an old leaky rubber sprayer-hose that you’d have to force on over the tub faucet. It would usually slipped off multiple times during even a short shower…but that just seemed to be part of the place’s charm.

There was a screened in porch on the front of the house which faced out onto the main thoroughfare, and while I don’t recall there ever really being much in the way of furniture out there, I used to sit there as a kid in one of my grandmother’s old wheelchairs. I remember going out there one afternoon and sitting in one of those chairs and putting my head back before dozing off. I’m sure I took naps as an infant and youngster, but that is my first conscious memory of being relaxed enough that I dozed off and took an extended nap in the middle of the day.

If I was visiting my grandfather by myself…I’d usually sleep in the first bedroom at the top of the stairs. There were a couple of pushbutton brass-platted 3-way light switches to turn on the stairwell lights at the bottom and top of the bending wooden staircase, and though I rarely worried about Boo getting out of his preferred digs in the cellar, I was always grateful to be able to illuminate the stairs before ascending the stairs to go up to bed on a dark Midwestern night. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls in the bedroom, and the only light in there was another porcelain keyless light bulb that you had to turn on by pulling a chain. In later years, my uncle Donald (my mom’s older brother) had tied a couple of old neckties from the brass bed headboard up to the light chain so that anyone sleeping in the old bed could simply reach up and grab the neckties to pull the chain and turn on the light. Growing up in the depression with the added misery of the dust bowl years could make a guy pretty inventive (and for that matter industrious)…and my uncle Donald was a great example of that rewarding combination.

The brass bed (with the necktie light switch feature) in that room was the same bed where my mother had been delivered when the old house served at the area “hospital” in the late 1800s and well into the 1900s. My grandparents purchased the house in the late 1960s to move off the farm and have the comforts of town…and I guess some of the furniture must have conveyed. That polished and fully restored bed still sits in my cousin Annie’s beautiful home in Fargo, which has more bathrooms than the old Abercrombie house had bedrooms. I think my grandparents paid about $5,000 for that house in the 1960s…which is a little less than I paid for just one Leroy Neiman painting which sits in my DC home right now. Though I could be wrong, I don’t believe we sold it for much more than about 30K after my grandfather passed away in 1991.

What’s the point of all this? If you know…please use the comment tool and let me know too. I just kept with the first real rule of this useless blog…which is to put to paper whatever happens to come to mind at 4am on a Friday. As I get older and life seems to get more complicated and hectic (and much, much shorter), I’m sure I romanticize what I at least fondly recall as a simpler time. You think a lot more about the way you lived your life when you get my age, and though I’ve been blessed to spend a fair amount of time in the Midwest, I wish I’d spent even more time in North Dakota.

The writing in this blog is subpar at best, but hopefully the music is usually pretty decent. The best part of this whole exercise is it’s Friday (even if subscribers sometime don’t get the email until Saturday), so please enjoy the beautiful Fall weekend and make some time for the people and pets that matter to you the most. If you can, visit somebody you care about…or maybe take your kids to see their grandpa. As you get older, you will find yourself reflecting much more about people and the value of relationships, than you ever will about work.
 
BTW...I seldom have the time to proof these each week...and even if I did, I'm an electrician not a writer so there will always be some mistakes in the prose. So, I'm sorry for all the misspellings, pour grammar, lousy punctuation and bad vocabulary. Actually...in all honesty...I'm really not all that sorry. Maybe it's a stubborn wannabe Midwestern thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment