Friday, May 30, 2014

...and you may want to take a relaxing drive

It was shortly after 3pm when I dropped my boss off at Reagan National airport yesterday…and after seeing her off safely I switched the satellite radio station in her Hybrid Ford off its perpetual public radio feed (Zzzz) to number 71, and settled in for my Seriously Sinatra 90-minute rainy commute to a business event not far over the Bay Bridge on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Unlike my life in Los Angeles where I spent a good deal of time commuting on a winding two-lane road  through the San Gabriel Mountains, I don’t spend much time on long drives living in DC. So even on a dreary and unseasonable cool inclement afternoon, I was looking forward to some relaxing and scenic windshield time.

Well, you know what they say about getting what you wish for. Over one hour into the drive from DCA airport up 295 to Route 50 for the roughly 65 mile trip, I’d traveled less than eight miles. After another hour…I covered approximately ten additional miles.  At some point there was a digital sign over the expressway that read  “Bay Bridge 24 Miles – Travel Time 86 Minutes.” Now…I’m no math whiz (and judging by the red line that appeared under the word whiz when I tried writing it four times as wiz…I won’t be spending much time on the stage in National Harbor either), but if there was anything to the accuracy of the sing, my anticipated 90-minute leisurely drive was going to take me a minimum of about 3 hours and 30 minutes.  Thankfully my lack of calculation prowess revealed itself again…as I pulled into my destination parking lot 4 hours and 8 minutes later.

I rarely used profanity when I moved to the District of Columbia about 9 ½ years ago, and I never used any that began or included the letter F. Never.  Now, fully entrenched in the big city East Coast culture where I’ve heard professionals use the F-Word in formal meetings, I routinely use curse words for every occasion. I may have even found a way to weave it into greetings like “Happy (expletive deleted) Holidays” and such, so my four-plus hour bumper-to-bumper slog along Route 50 provided me with the perfect opportunity to work through multiple renditions of my four-letter repertoire (had to actually look that word up after trying to spell it 10 times). Ironically though…despite the frustrations associated with the snail-paced commute…I don’t believe I uttered one swearword.  There were multiple opportunities too. I could have screamed an appropriate word at time or two when some jerkoff cut me off, or shared my displeasure with a well-meaning colleague that texted me a “shortcut” that wound me around the scenic Naval Academy that I’m convinced shortened my travel by an additional thirty minutes. Though he called several times to check my deteriorating status, I was cool as a cucumber throughout each conversation.

When I pulled into the parking lot off the long tree-lined winding driveway that provides access to the sprawling pastoral bayside property, I could actually feel my body decompressing. I suspect the soothing sounds of Seriously Sinatra helped prime me for the evening…but walking into the room full of denim wearing sportsmen and sportswomen relaxing and chatting after the camaraderie that comes from an afternoon of rural outdoor activity, I could actually feel my heartbeat slow down. It reminded me of the feeling I get when I hop of my bike and saunter into a roadside café in South Dakota each August, or for that matter, the same feeling one would get if they ever ventured outside the beltway to just about any of the red area that dominates most of the map between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.

I was only at the Eastern Shore event about 90 minutes total…so it was pretty hard to fully assimilate. I still stood out like a sore thumb in my slacks and ironed golf shirt, and while most were drinking long-necked ice-cold Anheuser Busch products, I still couldn’t fully shake my metro-cool and skipped up to the bar for a room-temp glass of Cabernet.

Despite the nightmarish drive, it ended up being a rewarding epic evening and I’m glad I honored the promise I made to a friend to be there. As  I sat around laughing with colleagues and meeting new business contacts, there was a general sense that life was good. Several of the normally workaholic people I spoke with talked about the almost immediate decompressed feeling that came with “just being outside,” and as you eavesdropped on the laugher and pleasant conversation throughout the evening, it was crystal clear most in attendance were enjoying an absolutely wonderful time.

What’s the f-ing point of all this? Don’t know really, but presume I’m more just trying to fill space as part of my regrettable self-imposed obligation to pound out this sh#tty weekly blog. It could also simply be the best I could come up with between sets at zero four hundred on a Friday morning…or it might suggest there’s some correlation between Frank Sinatra’s music and the need to use profanity.  It might mean it would behoove us to all invest in satellite radio, or that if we have satellite radio, we all need to turn to channel 71…or at least spend some time over at Willie’s Roadhouse on channel 56. It might mean that for every ten trips we make to some exotic European city like Paris…we need to take an unsexy domestic flight to some town like Peoria. Maybe it just means I need to exert a little more effort to curb my increasingly foul mouth…or it might just mean we all need to turn on the radio…and take a drive. Preferably…on some two-lane road…well outside the beltway.

It’s f-ing Friday…so have a wonderful weekend. If you can, please do something that will last the test of time. Spend some time with the people and pets that matter most. Sit on a porch in a rocking chair, chat with some friends, enjoy an ice-cold longneck and listen for the distant unmistakable sound of a slamming screen door. It’s summer, and it’s time to take advantage of the healing that comes from simply “being outside.”

No comments:

Post a Comment