Friday, May 23, 2014

...and this is an especially important weekend


I’m not really sure how or when the longstanding habit started, but for many years as a young man my routine on Memorial Day was always exactly the same. Sometime around 13 or 14 years old, I decided to hop on my 10-speed and make the three or so mile schlep from our modest home in West Los Angeles, California up Westwood Boulevard to the United States National Cemetery in Westwood. The 114 acres of hallowed ground sits in the shadow of the University of California Los Angeles (where I’d eventually embarrass myself on the practice field) and is bordered by famed thoroughfares Wilshire Boulevard on the south and Sepulveda Boulevard to the west. Even after I turned 16 and had the option of driving my shinny ’72 red pinto, I still chose to ride my bike up there most of the time.    

Seems to me I almost always went alone. I can remember a time or two in my early twenties when my girlfriend (now wife) came along, but for the most part it was a pretty solitary thing. I’d usually try to go early…before the place got too packed with other visitors and I’d always ride around the place for a while before getting off the bike. Unless you’ve been to a place like Arlington or some other massive Veteran cemetery, it’s hard to really describe the scene. I’m sure there were exceptions, but in my mind every single headstone was accompanied by a small American flag. The flags were placed there by thousands of volunteers (a lot of Boy Scouts as I recall) in the days leading up to the holiday, and riding and walking by the rows of stones and flags was always a moving experience for me.
                                                                                                                                                                                  
Eventually I’d try to find some spot up on the hill on the northern edge of the property where there weren’t many people around. I’d disembark from the bike and simply walk up and down some of the rows…reading the names of people, the wars where they served and the date that they perished.  As I walked I’d think about the  young men and women in places like Yorktown, Lexington, Concord, Antietam, Hampton Roads, Gettysburg, Flander’s Field, Normandy, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, The Chosin Reservoir, Tet and La Drang Valley. I think about all the young people that fought in those places and that didn’t come home. I think about the terrible conditions they had to endure,  largely so I’d have the freedom to enjoy Memorial Day and go for a bike ride and walk through a cemetery.

By virtue of pure timing, luck, no doubt some cowardice and probably the fact that I actually had a choice, I never had to serve our nation in time of war. I wasn’t around for WWII or Korea, and was too young for Vietnam. By the time we went to Iraq I was well past my prime…so for the most part my biggest struggles in life have been crises like having my prized bicycle stolen in childhood, an unflattering Division I college football failure and dealing with the consequence of procrastination with respect to the squirrels I suspected were dwelling in attic of my house. In light of this, the practice of taking a few hours to reflect in Westwood always provided a healthy dose of perspective as a young man…and for obvious reasons, I always returned from the experience a better person…at least for the few days that followed.

Ironically, my wife and I now live on the opposite coast…just miles from Arlington Cemetery. We manage to go over there about twice a year when visitors are in town…but never on Memorial Day weekend. Sometimes we drive by on the Harley, but the lines to enter the place are always insane…so we never seem to get any closer than the off ramp on the George Washington Parkway.

It’s too bad really…because I could use a good Memorial Day dose of the perspective I’d get from those early Westwood pilgrimages. Most of my thinking time these days is spent kvetching over injustices like having to get up early, working too hard, unproductive meetings, the exorbitant cost of manhattans at the St. Regis, and inconsiderate shitheads that block traffic lanes during rush-hour by flipping on their hazard lights and double parking so they can run into the Walgreens to pick up a case of Depends.

I’m guessing a couple of hours in Arlington’s Section 60 would help me with my attitude.

All across this country, people will gather this weekend at barbeques, family gatherings, summer homes, baseball games and a host of other iconic places and events to enjoy the extra day of rest and relaxation provided by Monday’s holiday. Many like me,  will revel in the good life with nary a thought about the multitudes that gave so much. Not sure what you’re doing this Memorial Day Weekend, but whatever it is, spend some time doing something you enjoy with the people that you truly love. Some folks paid a significant price to make it all possible, so out of deference to them, let’s make their sacrifice count.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment