Friday, December 27, 2013

...and don't look now, but 2014 is right around the corner

Unlike probably most of you, my record with respect to New Year’s resolutions isn’t very good. Though I’ve never really made a big deal about them, I seem to conjure up a few about this time every year.

Most of them aren’t too exciting…and include all of the usual stuff like dropping a few pounds, saving a little more money, assimilating a little more in the office, dropping a few less f-bombs and improving on my Italian. Seems to me I had all those on the list for 2013, but after almost 360 days to accomplish any of those, my bench-press totals are down along with my net worth. I’m weighing in at a 2013 high which is appropriate because I fit in even less with the culture in the office.  Mein Deutsch ist immer viel besser che il mio italiano and as if that wasn’t failure enough, my effing cussing could still make most sailors blush. Too bad my 2013 resolution wasn’t to fail at resolutions…I’d have hit it out of the park.

Seems to me I also promised to try to treat people better too…but sadly, I’d have to go back and check to see whether that goal was set on the threshold of 2013 or even 2012. Doesn’t really matter though, because as with everything else on the list above, I already know full-well that is yet another area where I haven’t measured up.

One late December I set the bar so low I couldn’t fail. All I wanted to do is drink two 16 ounce bottles of water a day and take the metro to work at least once a month. The water thing lasted until about late March as I recall and seems to me I managed a metro ride a month until about July. At that point, the steamy 90 degree late-summer walks (with 107% humidity) were more than I (or my colleagues) could handle.

Back in 2009 I did make one resolution stick. I resolved to take the stairs (10 floors) up from the parking structure to my office every day when I arrived at work. Amazingly I’ve managed to do that every, single stinking work day for four freaking years (presuming I stick with it next Monday and Tuesday). While chest-pounding on this is probably more than a bit self-aggrandizing (I need to resolve to use less five dollar words where a 25 cent one would work just fine), this is really no small achievement. You see, I’ve taking the stairs no matter what…kind of like those cats that deliver mail. Doesn’t matter if I’m carrying a Uke, my guitar, and small holiday tree or even if I have the flu…I still schlep up the steps come rain or shine. Even when I’ve arrived the exact same time as the boss and ride the elevator up to suck up, I still grab the next elevator down just so I can walk up the damn stairs.

So…for 2014 I’ve again the bar low but for whatever reason, it doesn’t seem like it’s going to be all that automatic. Every December, as I’m tidying up my holiday card endeavor, I lament the fact that there are a few less people around to receive cards. Some years are worse than others, but almost without fail, at least one or two relatives, friends or former colleagues pass away. As I get older, and face undeniable reality that I have many more days in the review mirror than on the road ahead, I think about all the good folks that are no longer here. I’m also more keenly aware of the devastating toll that stress is taking on people in general and particularly on me (it’s not hard when 9 out of 10 people you talk to care enough to tell you when “you look tired.”).  

Now…I can’t control who will be around on January 1st, 2015, and to be honest, I probably don’t hold the wheel on road to my own future either. But despite that reality, all I’m going to resolve to do in 2014 is survive until 2015. Pretty simple eh? Well that and I might try to shed some weight, save a little more dough, hit the speed bag longer and treat people a little better too. Actually, if I can just do that last one…it will be a good year.

And I’m still going to take the stairs.

Happy New Year!

Drink a cup of kindness


No comments:

Post a Comment