Friday, April 26, 2013

...so keep your eyes straight ahead and don't look back



The crisp air made it feel more like Fall than Spring, but as I limped along Rock Creek on my morning run this past Saturday the bright sun made for a beautiful day despite the unseasonably cool late-April temperatures. I was headed up Beach Avenue (which is closed to vehicular traffic on weekend mornings) just a little north of the old Pierce Mill when I noticed a very young boy ferociously peddling his small bicycle southbound through the park without the assistance of training wheels…or what appeared to be any immediate adult supervision. He was really motoring, venturing out well-ahead of his other riders, and he had an expression on his face that somehow seemed like a cross between exhilaration and terror.

He was moving along well for a kid learning to balance a bike without assistance. You know the wobbly look of a new young rider…and if you think hard, you might even remember the feeling. Like all new cyclists, the boy was on the precipice of disaster. But for the most part he was laser focused on the road ahead of him and able to quickly correct any momentary lapses in balance with a swift adjustment of his weight or quick tweak of the handlebars. Just before we passed in opposite directions, the kid seemed to realize he was well-ahead of his fellow riders and inexplicably turned hurriedly to his left to glance back over his shoulder. As he twisted to look, he inadvertently jerked the handlebars to the left as well, and in an heartbeat his adventure all went to hell. In what seemed like an instant, the bike swerved violently as he slammed hard against the pavement and almost immediately started wailing.

He was screaming loudly when a lone female cyclist directly behind him (wasn’t a part of his group) stopped to come to his aid.  I reluctantly (just telling it like it is here…I hate interrupting runs) stopped at the 2-mile mark to see if I could help as well. Just as I got there another woman who appeared to be the boy’s mother rode up frantically. As the youngster cried (he didn’t appear to be hurt badly if at all), the first woman (who’d had a perfect view of the whole thing coming up fast behind him) told the worried mother that the boy was riding along smoothly, but that he'd turned to look behind him and suddenly crashed hard. Within minutes there were probably ten nervous Good Samaritans (or at least folks who wanted to tell a heroic story later that evening at an upscale Northwest restaurant) gathered round seemingly trying to comfort the child. Seeing he was in about four good hands, I resumed my run and wound my way creek-side up Beach toward the three-mile half-way point at the Rock Creek Park Ranger Station. 

Not long after crossing the stone bridge about a mile south of the turnaround point, I ironically spotted a much younger lad who was also attempting to maneuver his bicycle also without the benefit of training wheels. Unlike the previous rider that was coming at me, this little boy was peddling my direction. I was about 30 yards behind him when I first spotted him, and the child was on the adventure of his young life. He tried bravely to balance his bike as his loving father jogged along-side him steadying him with one hand on the bike seat and one hand on his son's right shoulder. Then, as I got closer, I heard the father repeating “you can do it…just keep your eye on the road…look straight ahead…and keep your eye on the road.” As I got closer, I heard the father say “I have to stop and tie my shoe” and he suddenly gave the kid a little push to give him some momentum as he let go. The terrified little boy screamed. He was shouting “I can’t, I can’t…Dad…don’t let go!” But the father stood behind him (his shoe wasn’t really untied) and encouraged him to keep going shouting “just keep your eye on the road…don’t look back…you can do it…I’ll be right there.”

Well, the kid did pretty good initially, but it wasn’t long before he lost control and veered into the curb crashing horribly. Actually, that’s not what happened. The petrified boy kept peddling, and though it appeared at first like it would end in certain catastrophe, the fledgling rider slowly gained control of his two-wheel bike and managed to keep it steady for the first ten yards. Then it was twenty, and thirty and what seemed like the length of a football field. I said “great job” as I passed him, and as his father continued to shout approval from behind (he was now jogging slowly not really trying to to catch up and continued to coach his son to look forward) as the exhilarated boy started shouting “Dad…look…I did it, I did it, I did it!”

Almost every adult has some memory of their maiden voyage on a bike without training wheels. There’s something about taking that first leap without the benefit of the stabilizing aid as a safety net. You don’t get an unlimited amount of chances to do something big in life as an adult, and the difference between those that truly achieve and those that just cruise like me often boils down to taking risk…even when there’s a gazillion good reasons not to. Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to have a little push too, so if you’re considering whether or not to do something bold, think about the John Burroughs quote…“Leap and the net will appear.” Over the course of my life I’ve often been skeptical if the net really will appear...but the more I think about it now, the more I realize the most talented people are just like the boys in the park. They just need to leap and keep looking forward. If they do, there’s a good chance they’ll never really need a net. If they do fall, they can just hit the pavement and get up and keep riding.  

Have a great Friday and an even better weekend. If you get chance, do something you love with the people that care about you. When they tally up the score at the end of the game, it’s moments like those that will mean far more than anything you think is more important now. You can start the day off right with a little good music...and if you do, you’ll have a better Friday and a better weekend too. May seem risky…but it’s only three minutes of listening and besides…it’s guaranteed. Now honestly, how many of those do you really get these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment