Thursday, February 20, 2014

...and this phone thing is getting out of hand.

One of the toughest things about trying to write a blog here each Friday morning, is coming up with something worthy of sharing. If you’re a frequent visitor to this site, or if you unexplainably receive these Friday missives via email as a willing subscriber, you already know the pitfalls of putting fingertips to keyboard absent anything worthwhile to say. This week strikes me as yet another example of the virtue in remaining silent on such occasions, but it’s early Friday morning and I’m a slow learner…so here you go.

There have been more than a few postings here over the years that attempted to deal with the astonishing deterioration of manners proliferated by people’s almost frightening preoccupation with mobile devices. Actually, much of what’s been written here has been about my own etiquette decay in that area, but recently I attended a meeting and several associated social events that convinced me that things really are coming off the rails.

There were probably about 150 people at this meeting when it started, and though folks were mildly engaged when it began, it wasn’t long before people’s faces were illuminated by the antiseptic cool-white glow of their iPhones, Galaxy 4 mini flat screens and even some Blackberrys. It wasn’t much longer before the tablets, netbooks and even small laptops broke out…and by the end of the meeting,  I think several bored participants actually set up Desktop computers and laser printers on their classroom-style tables.  At one point I walked about the room and counted 116 people that were looking at some sort of device rather than engaging in the discussion. There may have been more…but I only spotted six people that appeared to be looking up, with no device to distract them from the presentations and what was supposed to be an interactive experience.  

A good buddy of mine shared  what he called his “Blackberry Rule” with me more than a couple of years ago when the once unthinkable practice of pulling your phone out to stare at it while in the company of another human started to catch on. I was lamenting my wife’s frustration with my practice of checking my phone within the first few minutes of our evening conversation after a 12-hour work day, when my friend passed along the guidelines of the rule. Essentially, it states that you shouldn’t pull out your phone to check it in any situation where you wouldn’t otherwise open the paper and start doing a crossword puzzle. In essence, if you’re sitting across from another human being having a conversation, you probably wouldn’t open the newspaper (remember those) and start solving the puzzle...so…don’t pull out and stare at our phone.  

Now that may be too much to ask for in a meeting where people are speaking to you or sharing a presentation they’ve worked on, but certainly it has some merit when you’re sitting with an individual or smaller group of people where you’d think each other’s company should be enough to hold people’s attention.

One night after the meeting, about half-a-dozen colleagues went out to dinner one evening at a nice place not terribly far from the host hotel. As we sat around the restaurant table, it was astonishing how many of the diners were looking down at their phones. Now, if you’ve ever had me for a dinner companion you can probably feel their pain, but really, why go through the rigmarole of even going out and having a meal together if everyone is just going to stare at their phones? Couldn’t you do that in the comfort of your room…or perhaps at some establishment as an individual diner where you don’t have to sweat having to divert your attention from cyberspace long enough to look someone in the eyes and have a conversation?

Listen, I’m no prince when it comes to exhibiting model mobile device etiquette, but if you even go to dinner with me, you can rest assured I’ll stare at my phone no more than 20% of the time. Some days, when I harken back to the basic manners I learned in kindergarten, you might even get me through the entire evening without me ever once checking my phone.

It’s Friday, so take a minute to look up from your mobile device long enough to connect with the people and pets around you through something other than your keyboard. Then, after you’ve burned those 10 minutes, go ahead and get back online…24/7…no matter who else is around.

...not so many years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment