Friday, February 28, 2014

...and despite the lure of greener grass...happiness is often right in your own backyard.

Have you ever arrived at the airport at 4:35am on a Thursday, jumped out of the cab and glanced back inside the car to make sure you didn’t leave behind your cell phone only to spot one of your right-rear molars (no dental expert but I think it was #33) siting on the contaminated leather seat? Well for your sake I’m guessing no. But believe it or not that’s what happened to me  in the wee hours yesterday morning in Fort Lauderdale… and to say it had been an unpleasant 36-hour travel experience would be putting it mildly. At least with respect to the actual travel part…this was the trip from hell.

It’s not like there weren’t early warning signs of what was to come. After teaching all day Tuesday up near Baltimore, MD, I flew out of Washington National after a 2 ½ hour weather delay down to Fort Lauderdale to do a presentation that was scheduled for the following morning at 8am. . It was supposed to be a quick trip, as the return flight back to DCA was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon at about 2pm…just a few hours after my scheduled talk was to end. Getting back home was critical, or at least it seemed that way to me, because I had committed to being back in class first thing Thursday morning to finish out the week up near Baltimore with the original group.

When I arrived at the swanky Florida beachside hotel about 11pm, I was looking forward to settling in for a few hours rest before waking at 4am for an anticipated ocean-side run and some pre-presentation prep work. At check in the front desk clerk was courteous and competent, and she warmly welcomed me back to the property as she handed me the card key and instructed me to go to room 1705. I thanked her, asked for a bottle of water and hurried up the elevator anxious to get some needed sleep.

The signs in the 17th floor elevator lobby were very clear, but I somehow managed to turn left even though the arrow to the group of rooms where mine was located clearly pointed to the right. After wandering for a while on the wrong end of the hall, I did an about-face and headed the right direction. Finally I was standing in front of door #1705.

That was the good news. The bad news was I didn’t see anywhere on the door or the lock mechanism were you would insert or slide the key. I examined the door for a good number of minutes, and even opened my briefcase and pulled out my reading glasses to try to discern what was happening. I even looked at some of the other doors…including one with a “Do Not Disturb” sign hanging on the handle which provided me some comfort that there was indeed a way to gain entrance.

I was still stumped though, and while I’m hardly Platinum hotel status in the Hilton Honors program, it’s not like I don’t do a fair amount of traveling and I like to fashion myself as fairly adept with the latest and greatest hotel keycard technology. I finally got down on my knees…and used my cellphone light app to illuminate the lock mechanism. That’s when I spotted what looked like an small infrared eye…and it dawned on me that perhaps all you had to do was hold the key up to the eye and the door would unlock. I know what you’re thinking…and yes…I am borderline genius. So…eagerly, I held the blank key card up to the eye and like magic…I heard a faint beep.

Crap…isn’t the little light supposed to be green and not red? I tried the handle and it was still locked. So…I kept doing the exact same thing over-and-over and expecting a different result…but every time I held the key up to the eye…the door beeped and the light blinked red. Every time I tried the handle…the door was still locked. But I don’t give up easy…and I never want to let the fact that just because everything I been doing hasn’t worked force me to alter my determined course. So, like some kind of possessed moron…I kept repeating the motion over-and-over-and –over somehow hoping things would be different and that if I just tried long enough…the door would eventually open. That’s not how things usually work though, and just like the unmistakable wake of experience in my life that has proven this over time, I eventually concluded that no matter how many times I tried this same operation, I probably wasn’t getting in this room…with this keycard.    

Believe it or not my already sunny disposition was starting to deteriorate, so I hopped back on the elevator and went to the front desk…promising to keep my cool and to try to be polite. As I approached the desk the woman that had checked me in said… “oh I’m so sorry…was there a problem?” I politely responded that it was no big deal, but that the key simply didn’t work. She called over a supervisor that seemed generally perplexed, and  she checked the key several times to verify that it indeed worked just fine on her stupid little front desk machine.

She then asked if I was contending that someone was already in the room…to which I responded that I didn’t know…but that the key simply didn’t work. Remarkably I kept fairly cool and even managed to smile. I finally did get impatient, and pointed out to her that I needed to get into my room, not into the computer at the front desk. I explained it might be easier for her to understand if she’d simply  accompany me to the door and see for herself how the key worked on 1705. She smiled and said she’d be happy to…but that after we tried that it might be smarter to try the key on my actual room…which was 1708. She then pointed at the little envelope that holds the card which was clearly marked with 1708…not 1705. I then accused them of swapping out the number on the envelope (which I did look at upstairs), but they weren’t buying it.

I know what you’re thinking…maybe I’m not a genius. Well…you’re right…and this was just the start of a trip that except for the presentation part, deteriorated into a travel hell which included; a six-hour mechanical return flight delay, eight hours inside the airport on an otherwise gorgeous South Florida afternoon, an eventual cancellation, a night in a flea infested flop house operated by Comfort Suites and an alarmingly bland Filet-of-Fish sandwich from a McDonald’s on Federal Highway just north of the A1-A.

Then there’s the whole rear tooth thing…but I’m going to stop right here because you wouldn’t believe me if I told you. And just for the sake of truth in advertising, it wasn't the actual tooth...it was the crown for tooth #33.

It’s Friday, and if you’re ever stuck overnight in Fort Lauderdale, don’t stay at a hotel near the airport on Federal Highway (at least not the Comfort Suites) and don’t take a walk down to McDonald’s for a combo #16 (I didn’t even know they went that high). Oh yeah…if you do go to McDonald’s and order any one of their 16 healthy combos, quickly scream no when they inquire if you want to “go large.”

Have a great weekend, and if you don’t have to travel, be happy and take in all of the comforts of being at home.
There are multiple versions of this old gem and perhaps the most popular one is by Brenda Lee. Bing Crosby, Sammy Davis Jr. and North Dakota's Peggy Lee took a stab at it too...but for some reason, this version might be the one I like the best.

You'll see your castle in Spain through your window pane

No comments:

Post a Comment