Friday, May 31, 2013

...and you can expand your influence


After having breakfast at a local French café here in town one recent Sunday, my teacher wife and I wondered across Connecticut Ave to the Politics and Prose bookstore so she could pick up a couple of end of year gift books for her young student book buddy. I love that old-school bookstore, which is odd because I think the last book I read cover-to-cover in earnest was probably from the Curious George or Nancy Drew series. [By the way, don’t send me comments asking why I read things like “The Secret of the Old Clock” or “The Password to Larkspur Lane” and not The Hardy Boys (never read one)…I don’t have a good explanation].
 
Sure…every once-in-awhile I’ll read some James Lee Burke Dave Robicheaux mystery novel or something from the James Patterson Alex Cross series, but most of the time I’m too busy watching Deadliest Catch On Deck or catching up on Kim, Khloe and Kourtney (I just realized they all cleverly have “K” names) while finally answering a full-day’s queue of unopened emails to ever waste much time reading. I do try to do a re-read of Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People” every few (5) years, but with the proliferation of reality TV and NASCAR races in HD, I just can’t find any good reason to read.

Given that lack of enthusiasm, I’ve always thought my fascination with books was strange. I just like them...even the ones without pictures. When I go into Politics and Prose, I almost always walk over to the back right-hand corner of the upstairs section to where they have the business and self-help books. I usually try to find some book about communication, and almost always purchase at least one to work my way through over the course of the summer while sitting on the porch rocker with a mild cigar and chilled glass of Chardonnay.
 
While in that section of the store, I invariably check to see how many of the Dale Carnegie copies they have on hand, and while doing so this visit, I noticed there was one entitled “How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age” (or something like that…the book is upstairs and I’m watching an episode of Mad Men on DVR while I hammer out this blog).

The book is written by his daughter (or maybe it’s his granddaughter), and attempts to apply the still relevant (she contends more relevant than ever) “do unto others” principles of Carnegie in the modern era. The author claims that while the anonymity and non-face-to-face distance of certain technological tools provides a tendency towards cowardly snark in communications that was less prevalent when folks had to look into another’s eyes, the mere speed and reach of today’s electronic messaging vehicles actually provides an even greater opportunity to apply Carnegie’s approach. For some reason that just resonated with me, perhaps because I recognize my own tendency toward much colder electronic messages than I’d ever dare to communicate when standing toe-to-toe.

The irony of all this is while today’s technology has created an odd dynamic where you see couples in restaurants sitting across from one another in silence for long periods while starring down at their smart phones (perhaps their texting each other), the mere volume of daily electronic interactions actually provides us all far greater opportunity to apply the golden rule. Sure, it takes a little more time, but if you can take a few extra minutes to think about how your messages, blogs, posts and tweets can lift up others and be less rant like (like so many of my blogs), you’ll have more influence.  
Have a great weekend and if you can spare a few moments, think about the people that matter most to you and spend some time with those you love. If you can’t be with them face-to-face, see if you can’t use whatever communication medium you’re using to express that love as well.  With all these technological advances around today, your life and the lives of those you love can change in a heartbeat now more than ever. So make the most of the time you have right now…and do something that will matter over the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment