Friday, May 24, 2013

...and Monday is a Holiday


People often ask me where I get the fortitude to wake up each morning at 4am to work out. Actually, usually they ask why I’m dumb enough to do it…then at some point, it turns to the question of will.  To be honest, it’s not something I enjoy and it certainly isn’t easy. Most days I wake up about 3:55…a few minutes before the alarm goes off, and glance over at the clock only to silently curse at the horrific reality that it’s time to leave the comfort of bed. I usually lie there wondering if getting up in the still of the night is really necessary. Often I think about how nice would be to just rest…and begin to tell myself that it’s unfair that I have to rise up so early just to fend off the meteoric physical decline of my rapidly aging assisted living body. Then, just about the time I convince myself it would be fine to just skate, I think about the exact same thing. I think about soldiers.

I think about young men and women in places like Yorktown, Lexington, Concord, Antietam, Hampton Roads, Gettysburg, Flander’s Field, Normandy, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, The Chosin Reservoir, Tet, La Drang Valley, Fallujia  and Mogadishu. I think about all the young people that fought in those places and that didn’t come home. I think about the terrible conditions they had to endure,  largely so I’d have the freedom to lay in the comfort of bed on American soil pondering the injustices of things like getting up early, inconsiderate bicyclists that block rush-hour traffic and the pathetic nature of our present “everybody gets a trophy” entitled society. 

By virtue of pure timing and luck, I never had to serve our nation in time of war. I wasn’t around for WWII or Korea, and was too young for Vietnam. By the time we went to Iraq I was well past my prime…so for the most part, my biggest struggles in life have been crises like prized bikes stolen in childhood, college football failures, squirrels in the attic and leaking air-handler dip pans.

After I reflect for about 30 seconds on those that served so I didn’t have to, I feel momentarily shammed and swing my legs onto the floor and slip into my Columbia moccasins for the limp down to the basement gym or to fetch my running shoes. Usually the minute I feel the pain of my first few arthritic bench reps or initial miserably slow strides down the darkened street, the feeling of gratitude quickly subsides and I return to my private incessant kvetching. But at least for a few moments, I do appreciate those that gave so much so that I can whine about my big little things.

Not sure what you’re doing this Memorial Day Weekend, but whatever it is, spend some time doing something you enjoy with the people that you truly love. Some folks paid a significant price to give us all that luxury, so out of deference to them, let’s make their sacrifice count.

No comments:

Post a Comment