Friday, August 24, 2012

...and the last few days of summer are fading away

Well we're still in the midst of the Summer rerun series so the post below is one that first appeared just under one year ago.  It's been adjusted a little, but for the most part it remains largely same. It's not supposed to be a good blog practice to repeat content, but the Friday story didn't appear in any form two weeks ago and not one person complained...so given the paltry readership...there shouldn't be much risk in a little stale content. Anyhow, as the last few days of the summer season tick away, you might want to take a few minutes to read about the consequence of going at work too hard...and the need to restore at least some level of balance to your busy life.

There are a lot of cool things about my current job, but one of aspects that offers the most tangible sense of accomplishment comes from the opportunity to teach as an adjunct about 8 times a year in classes for union construction organizer (If you're interested, here's a Training Video Example). For me, it’s almost like smoking crack (I mean…so I’m told), and the therapy I get from spending an afternoon outside of the office with the people doing the real work in the organizing trenches is beyond my feeble ability to describe. Usually, I am privileged to do a communication’s piece around skills needed when talking to unrepresented workers and open shop employers, however this last time around I was asked to do a new segment for advanced organizers on avoiding burnout.
Now, like just about every other subject, I have zero academic expertise in the area of burnout. As the former head of a large contingent of construction organizers, and having been one for many years myself, I did feel as though I had some practical knowledge on the subject...just no textbook expertise. So…as I always do when I need to find out how to repair the belt on the clothes dryer, or get the name of a buttery Chardonnay, or to diagnose shortness of breath and a sharp pain in my lower back, I began surfing the internet.
While perusing the online material on the subject of burnout, it was tantamount to what happens to me just about every morning these days (OK…every morning). It was, for lack of a better analogy, like the horror that accompanies my first morning glance into the bathroom mirror (I have to put a dimmer on that light switch). Despite the fact that it happens every single day, I am still shocked and disappointed each and every morning…and I cannot fathom how things went so wrong so fast (actually…that’s the problem…it took a long time to get this bad).
As I read through the differences between stress and burnout, and the consequences of letting both go untreated, I recognized immediately that I was reading about me. Sadly, it was apparent that years of mounting stress and my failure to deal with it was resulting in my own burnout, and it was a difficult and sobering recognition that I had let things get way out of hand. I won’t bore you with all the details, but perhaps the best analogy I came across is this. If you feel like you’re an eight-ounce glance and someone is trying to pour one-gallon of water into you…you’re under stress. If you feel like your glass is completely empty…you might be burned out. My glass is too often bone dry. If you feel like every day is a bad day, if you’re often exhausted, or if you feel like nothing you do makes a difference or is the least bit appreciated, you may be beyond stress and well into burnout.
Unlike the misery I experience each morning in the mirror, the good news is that burnout is reversible. I've treated it by plunging headlong into increased tobacco consumption, heavy drinking and copious amounts of trash TV. OK…truth be told, I’m not sure that is the best medicine but I haven’t surfed the net yet on fixes and cures.
I have a feeling one of the remedies is taking it easy, and because no one of us is going to turn this labor slide thing around by ourselves, there really is no reason to drive ourselves into the ground trying to do it alone. We are all reminded repeatedly of the fragility of life, and in recognition of those many signs, we owe it to ourselves and our families to just chill a bit. Who knows, if we were actually refreshed, clear-headed and better rested, we may actually be sharp enough to strategize about how to this thing around. Just think about it...if all the talented people working on behalf of working families were at their very best and truly rowing in unison in the same direction...just think about what could be accomplished. If nothing else, if we were actually at our best, maybe we could spend some time figuring out if there is a way to get everyone in labor working together. That alone would be a worthwhile accomplishment.

So take notice of the signs and cool your jets. Get some hobbies outside of work, eat right, sleep, exercise and find something fun to do that takes your mind of your inbox. For me, working out, playing the guitar or piano, reading and writing and consuming red wine by the gallon seem to do the trick. Now...if I could only stop checking my smartphone while I'm doing them.

Speaking of signs...this past Saturday I attend another funeral for a friend that left the world way too soon. The service was a touching tribute, where friends and family spoke eloquently about the enduring legacy of a man that truly accomplished many great things. At the beginning of the service, the overflow crowd sang this notable gospel hymn. It was the third time I've heard it in 2012...all at funerals for people I thought would be here forever.  
Have a wonderful summer weekend. The weather is supposed to be decent, with occasional showers and moderating temperatures in the low 80s. Go do something fun…recharge your batteries, step away from the chaos, laugh, crack a smile…and feel appreciated.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment