Friday, April 27, 2012

...and I need to get out more

The other day I took a rare stroll on a couple of floors of the building where I work to thank several folks that have poured their hearts and souls into some of the organization’s important work of late. It didn’t take a whole lot of time, and though it happens way too infrequently, the practice of walking around and popping my head into a colleague’s office or cubicle is just something I enjoy.
Sadly, though warned by wise mentors long ago not to chain myself to the desk or to rely too much on electronic communication, the occasions where I actually leave my office to visit people face-to-face in their workspaces are far too sporadic.  However each time I do, it’s a vivid reminder of the importance of people and the truly good work that so many of them do. It’s also a clear indication of how their collective efforts are directly connected to any credit that ultimately comes my way…and that recognition causes me to remember one of the first instances where I truly gained an appreciation for how all their efforts are connected to my good fortune.
When I first started running work in the construction trade as a union IBEW electrician in California, I was consummate micro-manager. I remember running a fairly large theater project at Cal-State Northridge in the San Fernando Valley. I would spend hours and hours laying out color-coated tasks that were essentially idiot proof…so that all those on my crew would have to do is follow along in the mindless work.  I remember one day laying out some work for a seasoned journeyman wireman named Tom. He was a great guy, and as I explained all the work I’d done to ensure that we simply had to connect the red life-safety system boxes and the blue power boxes and the orange lighting junction boxes…I looked up and caught him smiling. I asked him what was so funny…and distinctly remember him saying “nothing.”
After being pressed a bit he confessed that he felt that while my idiot-proof layout system was impressive, it wasn’t particularly challenging for a skilled veteran like him. I remember standing there listening to this cat twice my age diplomatically imply that he was just as capable laying out the work as I was…and that I could just give him the blueprints and move onto more important planning work. I remember asking him “so you think you can lay out all this work?” and being stunned when he arrogantly replied “why don’t you just let me give it a try?” So, disgusted, I remember thinking if this guy wants to crash-and-burn and learn a lesson…I’ll gladly get out of the way.
I remember returning later in the day, horrified (but feeling validated) at the idiotic way Tom had approached the work. He was standing on a ladder…installing some conduit below the decking in a manner that was completely opposite of the way I’d laid out. I tried to keep my cool, but it was so antithetical to what I’d suggested…it really was quite an insult. I remember asking him why the heck he’d done it that way…and as he calmly explained, my horror intensified as I realized that his way…actually made more sense. To add insult to injury, it was also clear his way was markedly more efficient.  Though somewhat humiliating, I immediately gave Tom a longer leash, and it wasn’t long before his talents and those of many other competent electricians were building that complicated theater…and making me look like an all-star foreman.  
The transformation wasn’t immediate, but ever since that day, I’ve strived to be the quintessential macro manager (not sure that’s a word…but presumed it’s the opposite of micro). Interestingly, by delegating work to others that are not only competent, but in many cases far more so than me, I’ve been able to float along and climb up the ladder on the coattails of their hard work. At every turn,  the people I work with have been smarter than me…and by giving them a lot of latitude…it usually worked out very well for me.
Because I’m a very slow learner, there are still too many times when I forget these valuable lessons. Even now, there are days when I attempt to do too much and when that happens, it usually backfires. However, those times when I do just get out of the way, it is always amazing how so many good people put it all together. The last couple of weeks served as yet another reminder of this successful blueprint. While it’s fresh in my mind, I’m going to try to spend less time at my desk, and more time with the people that do the real work…even if it’s just to stroll by to thank them for all they do.
Believe it or not...I've actually won a Karaoke contest or two with this tune. I didn't sing it like this though...and it didn't sound near this good. Set aside 3 minutes and 50 seconds to enjoy some chill time before the insanity of the day. Have a great weekend...and I apologize for the annoying Grooveshark video advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment