Friday, January 17, 2014

...and I just don't have any free time

A mentor of mine sends me and a few other fortunate folks a positive quote via email most days of the week. I’m not really smart enough to understand some of them, especially many of the older ones by people with names like Aurelius who lived in times marked by dates with B.C., A.D. and C.E. (I don’t even know what C.E. means…commonsense economics maybe?). Sure I do get some of them…like the one that came in yesterday by a really old guy who’s name I can’t pronounce.

“It is a good thing to be rich, it is a good thing to be strong, but it is a better thing to be beloved of many friends…and to be really, really rich”

-- Euripides (480-406 BC) Greek Playwright

OK…I added the part at the end.

Thankfully most of them make sense, and often times they even resonate…especially the ones that remind me of my own shortcomings. A consistent theme of many of the inspirational quotes is about personal responsibility…and as someone that wastes way too much time lamenting my status as victim, it’s nice to be consistently reminded by people wiser than me that I’m almost always the architect of troubles I’m all too eager to blame on anyone but me.  While I love the quotes my good buddy sends over, he's not the only source for great inspirational sayings.

I picked up this book at the local bookstore Politics and Prose about six months ago that I just started reading the other day (it took me six months to finish the 300+ page “How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age” that I’d purchased in January of 2013). It’s called “This Thinking Life” by a Ph D from Johns Hopkins named P.M. Fiorni. I know what you’re thinking right now…Zzzz.  But he actually wrote a couple of books about civility (one called “Choosing Civility”) that helped me recognize how often I fail to pick that preferred course, so when I spotted his new book about the value of making time in our otherwise overbooked lives to simply think, it somehow caught my eye.

Early on in the book there’s a quote by a cat I’ve never heard of named Michael Altshuler that appears in the beginning of a chapter on carving out time to think. The quote is simply this…

“The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.”
 
--Michael Altshuler - (no B.C., A.D. or C.E…must still be alive) Motivational Speaker

Dammit. Here we go again. Most Fridays I spend an hour writing this crappy blog at the crack of dawn and like to use this time to whine incessantly about the highly unfair and ever escalating passage of time. Now, along comes this self-help sales seminar sh*thead implying that I actually have some control over how I allocate the hours and minutes of my life.  
 
It’s so much more convenient to cry about all the demands on my waking hours…feeling often like I have literally no discretionary time to do the simplest tasks…let alone the luxury of just kicking back and thinking. Heck (that Fargo thing is lingering), I can’t even watch television anymore without my laptop open. I’m on the internet constantly…never unplugged. My high-powered job essentially demands connectivity 27/7  (yes…I added 3 hours to the day. Had to, to get things done).

But you see…that’s the thing. If I really think about the stuff I’m looking at on the internet, most of it is crap (and that’s just the stuff I’m admitting to). I see an actor in an old movie and look up if he’s dead or alive. I see the old blonde waitress from Cheers on Modern Family and I hit up Wikipedia to find out she’s 65. I hear a commercial about Shaun T helping people lose 200 pounds and 10 inches via the latest P90X knockoff scam and I google it (just a side note here…but are there people that are still amazed you can get in shape if you convulse in front of the TV like a maniac every day for 45 minutes over the course of 90 straight days? Do you need to purchase CDs for that? The little underwear dude with the Dolphin running shorts, squeaky voice and really bad perm taught us all that years ago…and all he was doing was dancing to oldies).

During the holidays I received a call on Christmas Day from my cousin that my 90 year-old aunt was near death in Moorhead, MN (see previous post). My aunt who’d been in a rest home for four years, stopped eating and drinking and the medical folks said she’d likely last a week to ten days.
 
Now, I’m way too important to just drop everything and schlep my 84 year-old mother (who was staying with me for the holidays) to Fargo, ND (Moorhead’s twin city) to deal with her sister’s death and funeral arrangements, but that’s what I did. Not really sure why to be honest, but despite my preoccupation with being indispensable in the office, I’m not even sure anyone really noticed I was gone. I pretty much unplugged too (at least by my standards)…and to be candid, other than getting markedly more relaxed, nothing really seemed to change.

“You’re already in the cockpit…so you may as well grab the controls.”

--It’s Friday Blog Author (1961-still barely kicking ) Really Bad Writer

Have a great weekend, and ease back on your airspeed by starting your Friday with some relaxing music I’m betting you haven’t heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment