Friday, July 12, 2013

...so don't let the headwinds knock you down

If you’ve ever spent much time in Southern California in the Fall or Winter, you probably know the famed Santa Ana devil winds can be ferocious. Originating inland but affecting mostly coastal areas of Southern California, these down-slopping hot and dry gusts, often exceeding 50 mph, are notorious for fanning devastating wildfires and even blowing over eighteen-wheel semi-truck trailers on the San Bernardino Freeway. In some of the worst meteorological episodes, they are also well-known toppling the areas strongest trees…which are often no match for the formidable and sustained evil winds.

I remember sitting having lunch one hot October afternoon during one such Santa Ana event  with one of my early IBEW electrician mentors Joe Zamora. We were working  for a company called Amelco Electric on a historic construction project in the mid-Wilshire area of downtown Los Angeles. The all too rare restoration effort at an old-school open air market was unusual for a city that has a poor record maintaining its few architectural treasures, and this particular 6th Street gem just blocks from the iconic Ambassador Hotel (think Coconut Grove and RFK) and the original Brown Derby restaurant offered an interesting challenge for any construction electrician.

We were taking our collectively bargained 30-minute lunch time break, sitting on the curb with a couple of other union tradesmen after buying a couple of carnitas burritos from the roach coach (BTW…this is just a side note…but those trendy food trucks where you pay inflated prices for what you think is gourmet food aren’t new. Vendors have been poisoning construction workers with tasty food prepared in vermin infested mobile kitchens for decades. They just didn’t paint their trucks goofy colors, give them exotic names to lure white-collar workers or charge exorbitant  amounts for food laced with rat droppings). In typical fashion, I was sitting there bitching to my fellow brothers about everything that is wrong with job I had just finished running at Crocker Center (now Wells Fargo) and all the heartache I’d received from stubborn old electricians resistant to my more evolved way of electrical construction.

At that point in my mid-20s, I was a cocky, weight-trained greenhorn foreman and though my inaugural effort to run work had been a successful money maker for the contractor, there was no shortage of stress from my perspective. Mostly there was a general sense that things hadn’t gone nearly as smooth as they could or should have…especially if those working for me had only been more open-minded and reasonable.  In classic fashion, my mentor Joe was patiently listening to me bellyache. He was a seasoned veteran at running big electrical construction projects and a well-respected  instructor in the much heralded labor/management apprenticeship program. Those reasons alone were enough to seek  his advice, but he also had this great voice that was like listening to Cheech Marin. Every time he ever saw me he used to begin by enthusiastically asking “Hey homes…waz up?”
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Shortly after I’d finished my whining about all the push back I’d gotten from dinosaur electricians resistant to doing things my new and improved way, I was curious what pearls of wisdom Joe would offer to help me deal with uncooperative crews. As I waited, Joe smiled and pointed across the streets lined with bungalows at the classic tall palm trees that line so many of LA’s older streets…particularly in the inner city. If you haven’t been there you’ve seen them in the movies…and given their towering height and their alarmingly small diameter trunks…it’s amazing that their able to stand at all.



 
 
 

The wind was howling hard that day, and as Joe motioned towards the trees bending in the force of the wind, we had an exchange that went something pretty much like this.

Joe: “Hey homes…did you notice all the downed trees driving into work this morning?”

Me: “Yeah…of course…it was hard not to. Heard it blew in some places close to 70mph for hours.”

Joe: “Yeah…there were down all around me too. Big sturdy oaks with rigid  trunks uprooted and pretty much toppled over.”

Me: “Yep”

Joe: “But homes…check out all those palm trees. Did you see any palm trees like them knocked down?”

Me: “Now that you mention it…no. But I’m unclear what this has to do with anything.”

Joe: “Do you ever see any of those flimsy palm trees down after a wind storm? I mean really…how is that possible, they don’t even look strong enough to stand when it’s still.”

Me: “Yeah…I guess I really never thought much about it. But again… what the hell does this have to do with my problems running the job?”

Joe: “Well don’t you even wonder why those skinny palm trees are still standing while all those much sturdier trees can’t withstand the wind?”

Me: “What?”

Joe: “Homes…look at those palm trees. The wind is blowing close to 40mph now and they’re almost bent in half. The rigid trees you saw laying down this morning stand strong but eventually break…but the much thinner palm trees sway back-n-forth and all they do is bend and bounce back. That’s how it ties to your work problems…if you’re going to survive in the big time construction industry over the long haul…you got to learn how to bend and sway.”

At the time I didn’t think much of Joe’s sage advice, however the older I get the more it seems to resonate. If I tried to stand strong in the face of the unyielding forces resistant to change, I’d burnout in almost no time. However on the days I’m flexible…and let myself bend when it’s blowing, somehow I seem better positioned to withstand the constant headwinds. It’s funny, in my early years I put so much value in being like an oak…now, as I get older, I see so much more virtue in being like a palm.

Have a fabulous weekend, and if you feel a variety of forces conspiring to take you down, don’t be afraid to be strong enough to bend.

Fresh scent of what???

Bonus track...We may lose and we may win...

1 comment:

  1. Kirk, I love the columns and look forward to how you pair them with music each week. But I have to ask how dare you subject your loyal readers to not one but two Eagles songs in one day?

    ReplyDelete