Friday, June 14, 2013

...and the little things...are really the big things

Earlier this week I was sitting in my office dealing with yet another human resource related issue, when it dawned on me that the preponderance of my time is often spent on things that really don’t seem all that big. As it is in most organizations, it’s not on the really formidable challenges or endless opportunities that consume the majority of my time now…it’s really the seemingly little things. And when I think about it…it’s pretty much been that way just about everywhere I’ve ever worked.

About 15 years ago, I was a foreman for one of the country’s most successful electrical contractors on one of the largest construction projects in Los Angeles.  It was a high-profile studio project, and as the job ramped up and the number of electrician’s increased, the company and the union, in the cooperative  labor/management spirit  indicative of the organized construction industry, jointly asked me to be the labor liaison (or union steward). In equally typical fashion, the job was finished ahead of schedule and under budget…and committed to doing my part, I spent the lion’s share of my days installing conduit and pulling wire. However on the rare occasion that I did have to don the steward’s hat, it wasn’t complicated or challenging electrical systems that commanded the majority of that time, it was usually dealing with the basic wants, desires and feelings of regular human beings.

I remember standing one day in the afternoon sun chatting with the company’s superintendent on the south side of the sprawling jobsite which was bordered by the very un-picturesque concrete-coated Los Angeles River. We were both roughly the same age (mid 30s), though even at that young age he was a supervision rock-star in the electrical industry who I consider a mentor and still attempt to emulate today. We were talking about some mundane personnel  matter, and I remember then being amazed at how much time he and I spent dealing with these types of issues. This cat oversaw some large projects in his young career, and I remember asking him how much of his high-level supervision time was devoted to the installation of complicated electrical installations. “Oh…about 5%” he replied… “most of the time I’m more of a human resource guy or even a counselor and my biggest responsibility is to keep our people happy…and to make sure they have the tools and material they need to do the job. If I do that…they figure out how to deal with the really big stuff.”

Many years later, things are really not that different.  As I stand looking out the window of my office on any given day lamenting  the confluence of external forces committed to destroying the middle class values of fairness and equity that built this country, the reality is I don’t spend a lot of time addressing those big topics. Much of my days are taken up with dealing with people…discouraged because they were dissed by a colleague, left off an email, are being micro-managed, feel frustrated by constant headwind,  are overdue for a laptop upgrade, often excluded from an important conversation or flat out are feeling unappreciated.
 
This is hardly restricted to my organization, as even when I eavesdrop on high-level conversations at the local District watering holes, much of the conversation isn’t about big problems, but goes more like “what do I have to do to get copied on an email” or  “you’re not going to believe what so-and-so just did” or “do you believe that a-h*le took credit for my project and didn’t even say thank you?”

All this makes me think of some real irony. As others much smarter than me have noted, it’s really the focus on the little things that allows people to deal with the big things. If we take the time to consider other people’s points of view, their needs, their interests, and their yearning to be appreciated, then they like me, are in much better condition to take on the challenging work that must to be addressed if good is going to prevail.

“Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.”


If it weren’t for my family, friends, red wine, books, pushups, red wine, trash TV, cigars, jumping rope, my speed bag, bourbon, crystal-meth (just kidding) copious amounts of red wine (not kidding) and an occasional cigarette, I wouldn’t be able to cope with the self-imposed frustrations at work. My best days, are those where I focus on the things I can control, and brush aside the annoying little grain of sand while focusing on the importance of the people that do the work that matters. The worst days are the ones where my lack of concentration on the value of human beings becomes the grain of sand that ends up in some hard-working colleague's own shoe…and I worry that still happens way too often today.

Have a great weekend and try not to let the little things get you down. Whether it’s family, friends, a chilled straight up Manhattan, hiking, pets, a relaxing dinner, books, holding hands, exercise or wine, do something that brings some genuine chill to your life.
 
 
Sorry for all the typos, misspellings and poor grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment