Friday, October 19, 2012

...and if you haven't been on the cover of GQ...read on

It’s not often I waste much time reading drivel on the internet. Sure, I sit for endless hours at home with my laptop open, but that’s mostly light multi-tasking like looking for Fort Lauderdale retirement properties or shopping for a new ukulele. The cool thing is that I can do this casual surfing while enriching my brain by keeping up with the Kardashians or watching the New Jersey Housewives 3-part reunion on television. Just as a side note, there are times, like say a NASCAR Sprint Cup race were I’m just too focused to be distracted by a computer…but that’s not what I’m talking about here.  I can get into some heavy laptop work when my wife is watching some mindless hogwash about a new book on CSPAN (Zzzz…) or the snore-fest presidential debates, but for the most part I put off serious computer work that requires a ton of focus (like adjusting my fantasy lineup) for times when I’m alone and can really concentrate absent the interference of television.

One of the few benefits of getting up at 3:55am each weekday is I have just that kind of time to focus on online work. This past Wednesday I was down in the basement gym and between bench-press reps, answering emails and checking my ESPN waiver order, I noticed a news story on MSN about the craziest men’s fashion faux pas of the last 20 years. If you’re forced to read it appeared to be the dream story with lots of big pictures and short captions, so I dove in.

Well, as someone who is pretty confident I’m styling by virtue of my adult Garanimals (click here to learn more), I always take special pleasure in catching up on the idiotic styles of men who are convinced they’re reinventing the world through drawing attention to themselves by looking like morons.  Thankfully the article didn’t disappoint.  The goofy pictures accompanied by blistering comments were hilarious, and the piece effectively poked fun at a myriad of incredibly stupid fashion trends tried by adult males.

They covered a ton of ground…blasting guyliner (eyeliner for men) and ridiculing ridiculous hairstyles that included frosted tips, faux hawks and mullets. They made fun of wallet chains (noting that most knuckleheads that wear them have little or nothing in their wallets to secure), and slammed Ashton Kutcher for wearing manpris (capris pants for men…and they had pictures of him). They rightfully crucified men’s sandals or “mandals” (permissible perhaps if you’re parting the Red Sea…otherwise just wear shoes), sweat suits (OK for aging mafia folks), carpenter jeans (but only if you’re really working with a hammer and nails) and chinstrap beards (fine if you’re pre-puberty and can’t grow real facial hair).

They pummeled soul patches, flat-billed baseball caps, sagging pants (if you’re going to wear them that low, just walk around in your underwear), wind pants and visors. They even addressed those that have completely thrown in the fashion towel, and made fun of men that were Crocs.

Needless to say the dead-on piece was funny, and while scrolling through I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at all the foolish fashion don’ts committed by so many of my brethren. It was also refreshing to see somebody telling it like it is when it comes to such poor style sense. I was thoroughly enjoying all the fun when all of the sudden, the next picture was of the once popular loose-fitting clown pants known as  Zubaz. While these baggy pants may have looked a little weird, I used to wear them with regularity back in the late 80’s and when I did…I looked cool. I had a white-and-black pair and  a pink-and-black pair, and along with my bare mid-drift Pit Bull Gym muscle tees and lime-green fanny pack, I actually looked pretty hip.  

The arrogance of the article was starting to get a little annoying really, and I begin to wonder who in the hell anointed these folks as fashion police and gave them the right to make fun of men’s fashion…especially former staples of my wardrobe. I let it slide though, because while they were wrong about the Zubaz, the rest of the previous pictures were truly spot on. Then…I scrolled to the next picture.

It was a photo country singer Kenny Chesney with a puka shell necklace and a caption that read simply “No Shelled Necklaces.”  Now…while the first part of this lame article was barely worth a chuckle, this was clearly not funny at all.  What the hell is wrong with wearing puka shells? I’ve proudly sported a tight white shell necklace every day since about 1975 (perhaps that’s their point), and I don’t see what the heck is wrong with it. Sure…it may be a little old-school, but it’s not like I’m walking around with pierced holes in my earlobes big enough to hang a week’s worth of dry-cleaning or going out in public wearing bright colored skinny jeans. These shells are who I am, and represent a  youth where every, single summer day was spent riding the waves in Santa Monica. Every single summer day.  I’ve earned these shells, and now that I’ve heard they’re taboo (for the hundredth time), I’m never taking them off. Never.

This is why it’s a waste a lot of time reading…especially the junk that’s online. Most of it just isn’t credible. Thank god for Deadliest Catch and Iron Men…now that’s the way to spend your discretionary time.

When this whole Friday morning email/blog thing started, it really was more about the music. I suspect only one of two of the six folks that read this pitifully performing blog each week actually click the link to the song. If I were you I’d skip the poor mistake-filled writing that leads into the music, and just click the link to the tune. That’s really the idea…to start your morning with a song before the business and craziness of the day conspire to rob you of the morning peace. Today’s offering won’t be everybody’s favorite musical genre, but the vocal harmonies and solo instrumental riffs in this tune should be enjoyable even if you’re a man sporting a mullet and wearing a sweat suit with mandals (and socks).

Have a great weekend.


…and if you’re interested…here’s the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment