Friday, July 20, 2012

...and it's another chance to do the right thing.

Typically, there doesn’t have to be a whole lot of outside stimuli to get me thinking about the pitfalls of getting older. Too often, I find myself lamenting the overall aging process, and the realization that at my age (50), there are far fewer miles ahead than there are in the rearview mirror. One good thing is that at least in theory, one should get smarter as one gets older, however there was an Op-ed in last Saturday’s Washington Post (Doing the Right Thing), that served as a sad reminder to me that in some important areas, I’m simply not evolving.
You see, things should get easier as one gets older…but that’s really not so much how it works. There are a lot of weird things about aging, and most of them, at least with respect to the inevitable physical deterioration are not particularly good. I’ve often thought it would be cool to shoot a video of me getting up in the morning…as I suspect my hunched-over,  stumbling, pathetic pre-dawn walk toward the bathroom would go viral on Youtube pretty quick. There are many days when it seems it would be wise to just keep shuffling down the hall…past the bathroom, down the stairs…out the door…and on down the street to the Sunrise Assisted Living facility on Connecticut Ave.

It’s fun sometimes to kid myself into thinking there’s something good about the body’s unavoidable decline, and that the increasing strands of gray hair actually really do make me look more distinguished. Sometimes I try to convince myself that my ever-softening midsection conveys a certain coolness that can only come with five-plus decades of life experience, but the fact-of-the-matter is there really isn’t one good thing about this accelerating plunge toward adult diaperdom (although I have noticed there seems to be more size 38” pants than 36”). I trip-out sometimes how even well-educated people somehow think they’re going to be the ones to flip this inevitable script. Sure…good diet and exercise should slow the clock somewhat, however no amount of blended root-puree and green smoothies will change the unavoidable outcome…and whether it’s 50, 60, 70, 80 or even 90 (news flash…you’re probably not going to make 100…and even 90 is unlikely if you’re working yourself into the grave)…the movie always ends…and even the full-length version likely involves a walker, a diaper, a feeding tube and a velvet-lined pine box.

The good news is this inescapable physical slide is theoretically countersunk (at least for a little while) by the growing level of wisdom that seems to come from an ever expanding perspective. When I was younger and knew it all, things seemed so black and white. However with added years, many things somehow now seem more gray (like…whether it’s gray or grey). Perhaps it’s the peace that comes from the “He who knows what he doesn’t know…is one who knows” realization, because if that’s really true…I may be an actual genius. Logging the required time for your AARP card also has a way of building quite a highlight (lowlight) reel, and with a wake of some pretty good (and many insanely stupid) moves over the course of my life, there is also some level of serenity in understanding that while I’ve may have done some good…there is also no question about the fact that I’m perpetually flawed. Recognizing this allows me to spend less time beating myself up those times I’ve been a moron...which is nice, because I’d have to spend a lot of time and energy kicking my own butt.

The problem however is that even with all the birthdays, I seem to be trending the wrong way when faced with the opportunity to do the right thing. ..especially when it relates to defending others. Much like the people referenced in the Washington Post article,  there seems to be an increasing number of times when I bury my head in the sand…even in situations when there is no question that something is brazenly  wrong. In theory, I’ve spent much of my life in a movement that prides itself on moving people to stand up for what’s right. When individuals are reluctant to step up because of the very real risks associated with such bravery, I’ve often implored them to band together in collective action and to stand up for the good of the order. Too often though when given an opportunity to actually walk the talk in my own life, I readily fumble the ball. For me,  the Washington Post piece served as a blistering referendum on how miserably I’ve failed when given the chance to stand up.

When I was younger, blonder, more fit, in better health, and had less to lose (really more to lose because there was no safety net), I didn’t have to think much about standing up for others. Now however, though I constantly try to encourage other people to be courageous, I too often shirk  from the responsibility that would have been my default back when I saw things more plainly. I tell myself it’s complex, that I have a lot of company, or that it’s about self-preservation…but to be honest…some things really are not all that complicated…and regardless of what the rest of the herd is doing, my lack of individual action probably has a lot more to do with cowardice than being older and more wise.

Though many have tried…there’s no turning around the aging process. No amount of kale, lemon water, soil shakes and muscle confusion are going to reverse the race to the rest home I’ve got going on. Sure…good choices may slow it down a little, but no matter what, the longhand and the shorthand are not going to start running counterclockwise. The time piece only runs one direction…and while that realization can be somewhat sad…one of the benefits was supposed to be the accumulated knowledge that comes with turning each calendar page. I’ll never get back my youth…but I sure wish I could find that younger backbone. If I could ever find it I’d stand up more…and actually make sure my own actions match the rhetoric I so freely save for everyone else.

Regardless of how long you live, life is way too short. Try to go out this weekend and do something fun. If you can, try to include the people and pets that you love…and whatever you decide to do, have a truly wonderful weekend. If along the way you get an opportunity to stand up for somebody else…don’t be like me. Do the right thing.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment