Friday, March 30, 2012

...and I'm not the only one here


On Thursday morning my wife and I were boarding a 7am U.S. Airways flight from Fort Lauderdale to Reagan National in Washington, DC. As we waited in the gate area, I was once again struck by the bad behavior demonstrated by so many air travelers. The price-based economy airline culture has created a race-to-the-bottom Walmartization of the airline industry that’s essentially bred a generation of travelers who are willing to pay $5 dollars for a latte but seem content to be herded like cattle when boarding an airplane. This deteriorating environment seems to has fostered a condition where an increasing number of folks essentially ignore all instruction, and behave as though they were the only people on the face of the planet.
If you listen to the pre-boarding announcement, the airline is pretty clear about how the process should work. However regardless of the repeated instruction, folks seem determined to disregard the directions and scurry like sheep to toward the gate regardless of their boarding zone. Additionally, though warned repeatedly throughout the airport and several times during the pre-board announcement that FAA rules restrict travelers to one carryon and one personal item, legions of flyers brazenly overlook the instruction as though they’re somehow entitled to board like the Beverly Hillbillies.
Due to our allegiance to U.S. Airways, we were privileged to board early and were thus treated to witness the lunacy of the entire boarding fisaco. As people piled on the plane toting multiple pieces of luggage, oversized duffel bags, dirty pillows, Himalayan backpacks, totes, shopping bags, garment bags, and roller boards the size of a 67 Chrysler, folks stood in frustration as periodic passengers would spend about five minutes stuffing crap into the overhead, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they were blocking the path to literally dozens of fellow passengers. Essentially, their message was, “this flight is for me and screw you if you’re behind me.” As the chaos continued, the clearly frustrated flight crew made repeated announcements about the need to be on time, and implored folks to board quickly, because many fellow passengers had tight connections in DC. At the tail-end of the announcement, the flight attendant repeatedly pleaded…“please be mindful of others.” There was an almost condescending tone in her voice, as though she was speaking to a room of poorly behaving kindergartners. Given what was going on though…it seemed perfectly appropriate.
If you’ve wasted your precious time reading any of this weekly drivel before, you already know I’m increasingly disgusted by the decline of general civility and often discouraged by what seems like an irreversible focus on one’s self at the expense of any consideration for their fellow human beings. While unpolished and far from an Emily Post aficionado myself, for some reason this societal de-evolution strikes me particularly when traveling by air, perhaps because I don’t like the increasingly poor behavior I see in myself. However it must also be that the travel dynamic (the airline industry’s own baggage fee policies have not helped) is so conducive to self-focus that it provides the perfect environment for bad behavior. It stands to reason though that this regrettable descent is really not restricted to air travel, and that the refusal of increasing numbers of individuals to recognize their obligation to their fellow brethren manifests itself in any number of growing venues. It probably happens everywhere, and when I think about the struggles I have in my own life, I can’t help but wonder how much grief could be avoided if I simply remembered to “be mindful of others.”
As I grow older, there are often few things in life that seem like absolute truths. However one that seems to stand the test of time for me is the proverbial golden rule.  Studying up on the concept, it appears that every major religion, and even atheism, have some tenet that stresses the importance of treating others the way you yourself would prefer to be treated. Sadly, there is no question that I apply this decree less now at fifty than I did when I was twenty. Not sure why that is really…but there is no question it’s true.  However, when I look back on my own life, regardless of the circumstance, it’s vividly clear my best days occur when I recognize there are other people around that are affected by my actions. 
Whether I’m boarding a plane, changing lanes on the beltway, getting in line at the grocery store, failing to communicate with a colleague or about to send a snarky email, it’s easy to rationalize such behavior by focusing on my immediate wants and needs. However, the increasingly fewer times when I devote just a few seconds thinking about what I’m about to do and whether or not I’d want it done to me, I thankfully make a different choice. Now, sometimes I actually do the total opposite. Every once in a while I really do go off on somebody…and I’d be lying if I said that didn’t feel good too. But the satisfaction is usually quite temporary, and I’m usually reminded in short order why it’s not usually the best approach. It really is a pretty simple time-tested principle, and our homes, our workplace, and our world would all be a whole lot better if we were all just a little more mindful of others.
If you see me today, don’t hesitate to remind me to keep that in mind.
There’s a Target TV commercial where a bunch fluorescent clad maniacs are running around like crack addicts on crystal meth. The tune that plays during the ad is a jazzy version of a French children’s song that should make you smile. It’s Friday, so have a great day and wonderful well-deserved weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment